This week marks Waste Reduction Week – a week created to educate Canadians about environmentally friendly practices they can do every day to reduce waste and encourage the three “R’s” – reduce, reuse, recycle. To help cut the amount of waste you create, here are some simple changes you can make to your daily habits.
5 ways to help reduce waste:
1. Use reusable bags and containers for grocery shopping, packing lunches, and storing leftovers.
2. Choose products that are returnable, reusable, or refillable over single-use items.
3. Avoid individually wrapped items and single-serve containers. Instead, look for large containers of items or buy from bulk bins whenever practical.
4. Properly dispose of products such as tires, batteries, and paint. Check with your local municipality on what can be recycled in your community.
5. Purchase items that are made from recycled materials, including recycled paper and products designed from recycled tire rubber.
We challenge you to continue your waste reduction efforts beyond this week and help to reduce waste in Canada every day.